Valašské Meziříčí lies at the confluence of Vsetínská and Rožnovská Bečva and is the gateway to the Beskid mountains and Vsetín hills. The cadastre also includes the local parts of Bynina, Hrachovec, Juřinka, Krásno nad Bečvou, Lhota and Podlesí. First historical mentions of Meziříčí date back to 1297. The village of Krásno was also founded in a neighboring area and in 1491 it was promoted to a small town. In 1924, Meziříčí and Krásno merged into what we now know as Valašské Meziříčí. The city lies at the confluence of the Rožnovská and Vsetínská Bečva rivers. Its location serves as the entry gate into the Moravian-Silesian Beskid Mountains.
The town hall regularly invests tens of millions of crowns into revitalizing local apartment housing, kindergartens and primary schools. The city also does not neglect the development of its sports facilities and is preparing a series of projects aided by grant programs that will focus on planting trees and managing greenery not only within city borders, but also in its surroundings.
Valašské Meziříčí is often nicknamed the „Athens of Wallachia“, because the city is a traditional center of education in Wallachia with a rich offer of cultural life and a long history. It has a summer stadium that features three football fields and an athletic track. Right next to it is an indoor swimming pool with a water slide, a relaxation swimming pool and even an outdoor aquapark. The city’s winter stadium offers ice hockey and ice skating, and also has a bowling alley. You can also find outdoor tennis courts and indoor halls for tennis and badminton in Valašské Meziříčí. Finally, the shores of the Bečva river feature a shipyard with a slalom course. Some of the biggest local sports events include the annual Wallachian Rally, hockey and football matches, and the international student football tournament, VALMEZ CUP.