it became the house of the master forester and the
fish warden. In 1567 a brewery was established and
the beer production continued here up to 1970.
There were also other business founded: distillery,
butcher shop, blacksmith’s workshop, cooper’s
workshop and jail. After aristocratic buildings were
made of stone, wooden houses were built for
Hukvaldy is inseparably connected also with the
game enclosure, which was established in 1566 by
bishop Vilém Prusinovský. A stud farm in Hukvaldy,
which was founded in 1858 by cardinal Fürstenberg,
got famous in 19th century. Today the rebuilt buildings
are used as residential premises.
A school was created from the original cooper’s
workshop in 1816. Here the most famous citizen - Leoš
Janáček - was born. At present, the building houses
a tourist information center, a gallery, the Leoš Janáček
Memorial Hall and an exhibition of the Land of Castles.
The Hukvaldy castle and the nearby enclosure with
fallow deers and mouflons, amphitheatre and statue
of Liška Bystrouška is a historical treasure. You
can also visit the Leoš Janáček Memorial or Tropic
Hukvaldy - exposition of tropical plants and animals.
Culture has a long tradition in the municipality. Jiří
Janáček established the Society of readers and singers
in 1865. Since 1948 the festival Janáčkovo hudební
Lašsko took place here regularly. At present, the music
festival takes place here each year under the name
The Leoš Janáček International Music Festival, which
continues the tradition of Janáček’s Hukvaldy festival.
You can also get to know Hukvaldy by walking
through one of the many nature trails that start in the
Hukvaldy Centre - Janáček’s footpath, Hradní vrch,
Leoš Janáček through the eyes of children and Hůrky.
Text: TIC Hukvaldy
Foto: Miroslav Bitter
A birthplace of the famous composer
Leoš Janáček is located mainly in the
valley of the Ondřejnice river, between
several hills: Sklenovské vrchy – on
the western side and Přední and Zadní
Babí Hora – on the eastern side. The
southern natural border comprises of
two hills called Hradní vrch (with the
Hukvaldy castle) and Kazničov.
The Hukvaldy municipality was the centre of
administration of a vast dominion of the bishops of
Olomouc. The castle area was founded in the mid13th century. The German aristocrate Arnold von
Hückeswagen, who worked for the king Ottokar II of
Bohemia, is considered to be its founder. He owned
vast territories between rivers Odra and Ostravice
and Beskid mountains. The court was established
under the castle in 1260–1290. Outside the court
there was also a traveler’s inn, mill and in the area
of Podlesí there was a house for shepherds, later on
POSITIV 4/2020 ǀ 97