A Quality Place for Life and Enterprise The town of Hlučín lies at the mull of the Hill Country of Hlučín (Hlučínská pahorkatina) upon the broad floodplain of the Opava River. Nowadays it also includes the municipalities of Bobrovníky and Darkovičky. The town was founded in 1256 by King Ottokar II of Bohemia, and flourished at the times of Bernard of Zvole, who had his castle built upon the basement of a Gothic castle in Hlučín. Parts of the walls and bastions are still preserved. They, along with the Church of St John the Baptist, the sepulchre of the Wetekamp family, and other remarkable sights, belong to the local cultural heritage. In 1742-1920 the region of Hlučín was a part of Prussia, and reconnected to Czechoslovakia at the signing of the Treaty of Versailles. Till 1960 Hlučín was a district capital, and its modern history starts there.
Cultural events are mostly co-organized by the council public-benefit corporation Hlučín Sports and Culture (Sport a kultura) and a range of non-profit organizations. The Hlučín Region Museum (Muzeum Hlučínska) plays a significant role in the life of the town. The Museum is situated in the charming halls of the castle which also houses the infocentre, the town library, and the Fine Arts Department of the Pavel Josef Vejvanovský Arts Elementary School. For twenty-five years the Hlučín Paediatric Physical Therapy Centre (Dětská rehabilitace) has been an important council public-benefit organization of the town, providing emergency care to children with disabilities. Hlučín offers its residents and tourists a sports and relaxation resort by the large lake. Another tourist attraction is the Military Defences (Areál vojenského opevnění) in the town quarter Darkovičky, with period military equipment from 1938. All the region of Hlučín has a dense network of marked local and “long distance” cycling and hiking trails of various levels of challenge, which will take you to various places of interests and attractions in the surrounding area. The more populous northeast area of the region leads to the industrial agglomeration of Ostrava, and partially to Opava. These two cities provide jobs for a great majority of citizens of the region of Hlučín, most of whom work in machinery, iron and steel, the paper and printing industries as well as the building industry. In accordance to the town zoning plan, Hlučín offers locations suitable for enterprise. These include ready locations in various parts of the urbanized area (using vacant lots and developing existing facilities), or in lots available for the development and construction of facilities whose operation does not affect buildings and facilities in their neighbourhood, and does not have a negative impact on the quality of the environment and living, so that their operation can be permitted with respects to the architecture and organization of the neighbourhood. Other type of operation are restricted to: - production and warehousing – light industries; between Markvartovická Street and the premises of the former brick plant in Hlučín (lots of 2.87 ha, 2.13 ha and 6.6 ha), in Darkovičky south of farm premises (1.17 ha), and others; - production and warehousing – small-scale production and production service; the premises north of the railway station (9.7 ha), in Darkovičky south of the farm premises (3.09 ha); - production and warehousing – farm and forestry production; farm premises north of the railway.
Text: Kristina Neničková Foto: Kamil Vitásek www.hlucin.cz
POSITIV 2/2019 ǀ 69